How to Create the Most Effective Affirmations for YOU
In the world of manifestation, affirmations reign supreme. Framed quotes on your co-workers’ desks, sticky notes with the words “live laugh love”, and mugs with motivational phrases, I’m sure you’ve seen your fair share of them. However, although affirmations are extremely popular, mainly due to their ease and accessibility, not everyone gets results from them. Not everyone is able to manifest what they want with affirmations and if this has happened to you, I’m sure you’re wondering why. Chances are you weren’t writing your affirmations correctly or even saying them right. In this blog post, I’ll map out what you can do to fix this and get some wonderful results from affirmations.
01 WHAT ARE AFFIRMATIONS
First off, what are affirmations? Affirmations are positive statements that put you in control of your thoughts and your life. They are statements that convey who you want to be or what you want to have. For example, if I want to be a great singer, I could affirm something like “I am such an amazing singer”, “I absolutely love the way that my singing voice sounds”, “People are always complimenting me on my beautiful singing voice”, etc. These statements all convey that I am now a great singer. You will soon start to feel that these statements are true and then they will start to change your life!
Here are a few things to be mindful of when creating your affirmations:
- Make sure that your affirmations are in the present tense. Although we often talk in the future tense i.e., “I will be an amazing singer someday“, you DON’T want to write your affirmations like this. Because your brain needs to believe that you have your desired outcome now, you should affirm your statements in the present tense.
Embody who you want to be TODAY, not tomorrow.
- Repeat your affirmations. Some people affirm their desire once and then say, “omg, how come I’m not super skinny yet? Nothing changed!”. Oh no no no; you need to affirm more than that! It takes the brain 21 days to form a habit so you should affirm for at least 21 days. I’m not saying that you can’t start to see results before 21 days, you absolutely can! You can start craving healthier foods and seeing that slim waist coming in before 21 days. But if you really want your desire to stick to you, then you need to keep the momentum going. If you think about it in this way, you have been holding most of your subconscious beliefs for many years; in fact, most of us are accustomed to thinking negatively everyday – “work sucks”, “no one likes me”, “I’m ugly”. When you start to recite positive affirmations in order to replace these negative thoughts, it might take some time for these new positive thoughts to fully erase the old negative ones. Be patient with yourself and keep it going!
- Exclude negative words such as “don’t” and “not”. When you affirm, you want to say what you WANT to manifest, not what you DON’T want. For example, if you are trying to manifest more money, you shouldn’t say – “I am not poor”. You should instead say, “I am rich”. You shouldn’t say “I do not have acne”, You should instead say “I have clear, glowing skin”. Many of us have trouble manifesting because we often focus on what we DON’T want instead of what we DO want. Creating affirmations can help you to get into the habit of focusing on what you want.
Claim your life! Claim what you want!
- Create affirmations that resonate with you. Beginners often search online to figure out which affirmations to use. I recommend doing this because this can give you ideas and examples for creating your own affirmations. However, you shouldn’t copy every affirmation you find if they’re not a good fit. This is a mistake that I did; I would search for affirmations and I would just use all the ones I found, even if they didn’t necessarily vibe with me. I thought, “well if someone else is already using them, then they must work”. WRONG. If you don’t really like the way an affirmation sounds or don’t really think it fits you, then don’t use it. Or if you like some of the affirmation, but not all of it, then you can tweak it to better fit you. The more an affirmation resonates with you, the easier it’ll be for you to start believing it.
- If you don’t have time to create your own affirmations, you can look on YouTube and search for affirmation tracks to listen to. There are some amazing creators who’ve created some effective tracks that you can listen to during the day or while you’re sleeping. There are affirmation tracks for just about anything you can imagine – love, money, weight loss, weight gain, beauty, career, etc. I’ve practically tried them all! Just search for the topic you’re looking for and pick a YouTube video that resonates with you. If you don’t want to use YouTube, you can download an affirmation app instead.
02 POWER AND FEELING
Try to put some power behind your affirmations. When you affirm your statements, put a bit of feeling into it! Don’t just say them monotonously. I know this can be hard because you’re most likely affirming things that you don’t fully believe yet or don’t have, and it can be difficult to fake as if you already are or have those things. But what I like to do is treat it like an acting exercise; think of how celebrities and artists have personas and let the personas take over. I’m sure Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna don’t feel super confident every single day, but you better believe that when they take their Instagram pictures or shoot their music videos, they DISPLAY tons of confidence. Watch some music videos and interviews of different artists and celebrities – Madonna, Janet, Drake, Marilyn Monroe – and just look at the vibe they give off. If you do the same when you’re affirming, then it’ll be more fun and much easier to get into that feeling state. For example, if you’re affirming statements about your beauty, but you don’t yet feel as though you are beautiful, you can pretend that you’re a confident woman who has always been known for her beauty. Take on the persona of an IT girl; play some music in the background that makes you feel gorgeous and amazing! Then you can affirm things like “I am so gorgeous”, “Everyone loves the way I look”, “I know I’m that girl”, “Every time I look in the mirror, I love what I see”. Affirm these things as if you are this really confident woman and over time, you’ll truly start to feel this way. Trust me!
03 WORK YOUR WAY UP
Work your way up. Start with affirmations that would be easier for you to accept at the beginning so that your mind has less resistance. i.e. if you’re trying to manifest beauty, you could say “I look really cute today” as opposed to “I am the most beautiful woman in the world”. You can say “I deserve to receive more money”, “I deserve to live an abundant life” as opposed to “I am a millionaire”. A mistake that many people make is that they start with affirmations that are too dissimilar from their current reality. While this does work for some people, it certainly doesn’t work for all. Another thing to note is that you may start to feel a bit of resistance in your body when you first begin using affirmations; you may feel uncomfortable sensations such as a pit in your stomach, a bit of anxiety, sadness, or frustration. This is actually a good sign because your body is telling you that this is something you have a blockage around. Keep saying these affirmations and you’ll begin to remove that blockage. Be patient with yourself during this time because it’s not uncommon for us to sometimes feel worse when we first start using affirmations. This is because your body and mind are used to living in a different state of being and now you’re trying to change that and they’re resisting this change. Think of it this way, when a person starts going to the gym for the first time, their body and mind typically resist it because they’re not used to this new routine. For example, when I first started going to the gym, my brain would tell me things like “well you exercised two days this week, do you really need to do more”, “you’re tired today, you don’t have time for the gym”, etc. I wanted to quit so many times while doing my exercise routine because my body wasn’t used to being active in that way. I had very little strength because I had never lifted weights before or done certain exercises and everything felt difficult. My stamina wasn’t great, I would come home sore and my brain and body were literally yelling at me to quit. But over time, my stamina and strength increased, the exercises started to feel less difficult and my body became addicted to working out. When I first started working out I felt horrible, but now I felt amazing. It cleared my mind and put me in such a good space mentally. Using affirmations can be very similar so be patient with yourself and take your time.
Reflect and do shadow work to figure out what your blockages are so that you can create affirmations to get rid of them. i.e. if you believe that only people who have college degrees can be successful and you don’t have a college degree, then you need to create affirmations that are stating the opposite. This will allow you to get rid of that blockage. Many people use affirmations that aren’t specific enough to their limiting beliefs. You need to tackle and re-program the limiting beliefs that are specific to you and your life in order to really see change.
05 CREATE YOUR AFFIRMATIONS IN A WAY THAT RESONATES THE MOST WITH YOU
Many people don’t know that there are multiple ways in which they can create their affirmations. And not only that, but many people create their affirmations in a way that does NOT resonate with them. For example, there is an affirmation method called the 55×5 method. With this method, the person writes their affirmation 55 times for 5 days. This method has been said to give fast results and has worked for many people. However, if a person doesn’t like to write and gets bored or burnt out from writing, then this method probably won’t work best for them. But if they love vibrant colors and are a visual person, then writing affirmations on different colored sticky notes and putting them on their mirror to read every day will work much better for them. Manifestation should not feel like a chore; it should be fun and put you in high spirits. If the manifestation method you are using doesn’t do that for you, then it’s probably not the best method for you. Switch to a method you like doing instead. Write the affirmations; sticky notes on mirror, script them/journal them or you can even listen to them.
Here are the ways in which you can create your affirmations:
- 1. Write out the affirmations. As stated before, you can script your affirmations on a piece of paper or write them in a journal. You can also write them on sticky notes and have them on your walls, desk, or mirror. You can also buy objects with affirmations that resonate with you such as mugs, pillows, or affirmation slabs.
- 2. Recite the affirmations. If you like to talk or are more of an auditory person, you can recite your affirmations out loud. I also recommend looking at yourself in the mirror as you recite your affirmations. You can even combine this with number 1 by reciting your affirmations as you write them.
- 3. Record your affirmations. Write down the affirmations that you come up with and then record them. You can record them on a voice recorder app on your phone or with a recording software on your computer. Then you can listen to this recording every day or every night while you sleep. Your brain loves to hear your own voice so recording your affirmations and listening to them can be really effective for manifestation.
- 4. Affirmation App. You can download an affirmation app on your phone that allows you to choose what affirmations you wish to see every day. Then you can pick the day and time that you want these affirmations to pop up on your phone. I suggest picking a time right when you wake up and/or right before you sleep as these are the times when your brain is most open to suggestions and change.
So, there you have it! These tips show you how to create the most effective affirmations for you. If you apply these tips, you should get much better results from your affirmations! Let me know in the comments below your favorite way to create your affirmations and what you’ve manifested from affirmations!